Birmingham and Midland Institute
von Alphascript Publishing
inklusive MwSt. - GRATIS LIEFERUNG
Dir gefällt dieses Produkt? Sag's weiter!
CHF 44.60 inkl. USt.
Nur noch 1 Stück verfügbar Nur noch 1 Stück verfügbar
The Birmingham and Midland Institute, now on Margaret Street in the city centre of Birmingham, England was a pioneer of adult scientific and technical education and today offers Arts and Science lectures, exhibitions and concerts. It is a registered charity. There is limited free access to the public, with further facilities available on a subscription basis. Following the demise of the Birmingham Philosophical Institution, which wound up in 1852, it was founded in 1854 by Act of Parliament for the Diffusion and Advancement of Science, Literature and Art amongst all Classes of Persons resident in Birmingham and the Midland Counties, as the Council had rejected the Free Libraries and Museums Act 1850. The BMI commissioned architect Edward Middleton Barry to design a building next to the Town Hall in Paradise Street. Half completed, in January 1860, the first public museum was opened in the BMI. Immediately the Council reversed its decision, and adopting the Act, negotiated with the BMI to buy the rest of the site. The other half of the planned building was completed by William Martin using the intended façade but redesigned behind.
0.22 x 0.15 x 0.01 m; 0.191 kg